Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'm home!

Pre-Op. I was so relaxed that when they came to get me for the surgery, I was snoring! LOL

I had my surgery on Monday and came home on Tuesday! The surgery went great! Doc removed my right ovary, tube and uterus. The right ovary had a lot of scar tissue from my ovarian disease. The left ovary had some blood vessels starting to grow on it so he clipped those. He wanted to leave the left ovary if at all possible so that I didn't start menopause now.

The most painful things have been my back and then the catheter. During surgery, I guess they sort of have your head down towards the floor with your lower body up in the air and the position hurt my back so bad! I have a degenerating spine and arthritis in my spine. Post-op, I had to have morphine and toradol (sp?) just for the back pain!

Then, the catheter hurt so bad I cried and when I mentioned it to Doc he said it was more than the catheter...that he'd used a scope in the same spot to check for scar tissue, etc. Once that tenderness went away, I did fine with the catheter.

The surgery lasted about 2 hours and I think I was in my own room by 2 PM. By 3 AM Tuesday morning, I was eating pudding and crackers & drinking Sierra Mist! At 6 AM, I'd already been up walking, used the bathroom on my own and was released by the DR! I think I slept until about 11:30 AM though and had hubby pick me up then. I could have stayed as long I wanted, but thought I would rest better in my Temper-Pedic bed! I was right! lol

I got a shower today and rode to town with hubby. It was so nice to be out in the sunshine! I did well, except felt a little car sick. We had called the surgeon prior to my little excursion, just to make sure it was ok.

Post-op my BP was too low. I know it was 98/51 at one point. They kept me on oxygen the whole time almost. I also had to do breathing treatments to get the air flowing.

With the da Vinci robot doing the surgery, I am stitched up from the inside out, so there's very little "pulling" when I move, which is awesome! I have NO pain when I cough or sneeze! I'm just amazed!

The swelling is going down from my face, hands, etc. All the swelling is from "standing on my head" during surgery. lolSO swollen post-op!!

I have 5 incisions. This one is in my belly button.

Here are 2 more incisions. These are on my left side. I have two more on my right said.
This is it! Can you believe how far hysterectomies have come?? My mom's scar from her 1970's hysterectomy is from "stem to stern!".

For pain, I'm only taking 1/2 a Vicoden twice a day!! Woohoo! LOL

The very hardest part for me is not being able to hold or lift Ryleigh. I have just cried tonight because I couldn't lift her out of her crib and she cried and clung to me, not understanding why mommy wasn't helping her! UGH! I can't lift her for 4 weeks!! But, these weeks will pass quickly and we'll get on with our summer!

I'm so happy to be on the other side of this surgery! Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers!

3 Kind words & kindred thoughts::

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Its good to hear how well your surgery went despite the back pain. I hope your recovery is fast and virtually pain free.

Take Care,

mommynoodles said...

I knew you would be fine,you were in "GOD'S" hands!! Sorry,you had to get that surgery done standing on your head though!! lol lol Geeze,you poor thing! I hope all stays well and you will feel so much better soon! We,pray that your 4 weeks fly by,so you can play around as normal w/ your sweetie!Thank-You "LORD",for keeping your hands upon my bloggy friend during this time! Natalie,

Anonymous said...

You are going to feel so much better. God is so good!!!!
Sorry about you having to stand on your head no wonder you are swollen. But this to shall pass.
You guys are going to have such a great summer!!!!
Love Lydia